top of page


Photos courtesy of Gavin Withers Photography

DirectAxis False Bay absorbed an onslaught from UCT in the first twenty minutes to run out deserved winners at Groote Schuur in their SLA match played for the Mark Jordaan Memorial Trophy on Saturday. The final score was 42-22 after the Bay lead 24-17 at the changeover.


Ikeys, experiencing a slump in form and fortunes, came out firing, never standing back to their older opponents and delivering some of their trademark angled running off slick handling. Indeed the hosts were the first to score after they had pinned the Bay in their own half from the kick off. Standout False Bay loose forward Jody Reineke made a fundamental handling error which probably still replays on loop in his mind, ultimately resulting in UCT scrumhalf Dylan Tidbury, scoring from the ensuing scrum after some blind side interplay.


Not only did the restart allow DirectAxis False Bay to escape the confines of their own territory, they also earned a lineout thirty metres from the UCT line. Brandon Wood, a rich source of quality lineout ball throughout his time on the pitch, fed the ball to livewire number nine Dylan Frylinck who sold a cheap dummy everyone bought to score a well-taken try. Flyhalf Andri Claasen put the Bay in the lead with the conversion.


Reineke added another clip to the video looping in his mind when he made amends from the kick off, receiving and embarking on a thirty metre power run which resulted in a try by wing Danie Roux. Shortly afterwards prop Ashley Wells, who performed outstandingly on the day, crashed over for the Bay’s third five-pointer, maximised by a Claasen conversion.


By now False Bay were beginning to dominate in most facets of the game, their physicality in contact taking a toll on the younger hosts who by no means capitulated. The Ikeys showed a willingness to run the ball and at times the slickness of their handling promised to pay dividends. They were however living dangerously in an effort to contain their more fancied opponents which resulted in centre Leon Hurniss being binned for repeated offside transgressions.


With the visitors fourteen points ahead and barely a half hour completed, the hosts needed to put points on the board, quickly. This they did through two tries in succession, albeit through some indifferent Bay defence. First eighthman Ngahha Parasunga, big and fast who stood out on the day, crashed over from a lineout and then Hurniss made good with a try under the poles. Tom Bedinall converted and the Ikeys were within two points, fraying at the nerves of the partisan travelling support. Prop Wesley Chetty, delivering a man of the match performance, crashed over for False Bay’s bonus point try before first half proceedings ended.


The second half saw the Bay swamp their opponents, their uncompromising tackles and hard running taking a toll on their opponents. They extended their lead to twenty-five points through tries by wings Mustaqeem Jappie and Roux and eight points off the boot of Claasen through a penalty, a drop goal and conversion.


The Ikeys never gave up and their performance in the final ten minutes of the contest displayed the fight in them. They were constantly on attack and never gave up, eventually rewarded with a try by fullback Mike Miller.


For False Bay Frylinck at starting scrumhalf was all energy. His service was crisp and he kept his opponents guessing at all times. His replacement Ridhaa Damon, slick and steady, dovetails smoothly with Frylinck in their dual role. Fullback Adnaan Osman was reliable with an understated air of danger at the back. Up front hooker Vlam van Vuuren joined his props on the outstanding player list with a powerhouse display. Replacement prop Dabula Khone carried the ball well and captain Graham “Snoopy” Knoop lead from the front.


UCT’s scrumhalf Tidbury thrived in the “battle of the Dylans”, while Hurniss, Parusanga and Bednell stood out.  Miller at fullback too was full of running at times.


DirectAxis False Bay played the University of Western Cape yesterday and travel to Stellenbosch next Wednesday to face Victorians.


bottom of page