top of page

In an entertaining contest at Florida Park on Saturday, DirectAxis False Bay comfortably beat a determined Tygerberg. The final score was 42-12 after the Bay led 21-9 at the break.


Florida Park is the graveyard of many a visiting team, especially those unprepared for the determination of the home side and the passion of their supporters. Tygerberg are a team which simply never lies down and given that faintest hint of an upset, are invigorated to cause an upset against even the most fancied of opponents.


The Bay were all too aware of this and of which the travelling support were reminded during the Second Team fixture. With the Bay holding a comfortable lead, Tygerberg’s second team hit their straps, delivering a double blow to level the scores at 19-19 and it was only a desperate 40 metre penalty conversion which gave the visitors their win.


The teams took to the field and it took all of fourteen seconds for False Bay store score their first try when wing Karl Martin collected the kick off, sliced through the defences and off loaded to hooker Roan Dalzell to score. Martin converted. The hosts, stunned but not in disarray, fought back. Wing Randy Brinkhuis converted two penalties to reduce the Bay’s lead to a single point but the desperation of the home side to contain their guests resulted in their encroaching the off-side line and referee Nathan Barry, after repeated transgressions, visited his pocket for two yellow cards during the first half.


Tygerberg, fiercely competitive throughout the contest, never stood back for their opponents. Captain Jayden Hanslo used his powerful frame to carry the ball with great effect, their most valuable player on the day. Bulky props Moegamet Maker and Edward Makhaudayi were not afraid to carry the ball into the Bay defence. False Bay simply swamped their opponents, creating gaps in defence through sheer numbers. Fullback Adnaan Osman scored his team’s second try and flyhalf Siya Alem their third before the break. Martin keep a clean record and Brinkhuis added a third penalty to his tally to give his team their nine-point first half haul.


Indeed it was Brinkhuis who opened the second half scoring when he bagged his fourth penalty and his team’s last points. It may have been the last time Tygerberg troubled the scoreboard handlers, but it most certainly was not the last time they threatened scoring.


The Bay had extended their lead with a quality try by standout centre, Riaan O’Neil, this time converted by Osman. The hosts refused to capitulate and it was only outstanding defence during a period of repeated attacks on their line which kept False Bay’s line intact. A dejected Tygerberg were slowly pushed back to their own territory and then centre Danie Roux scored his team’s fifth try, which started on the centre line. Osman converted.


The Bay were not finished yet and replacement flank Michal Botha scored his team’s final try with Osman obliging with the conversion.


Outstanding for False Bay on the day were Osman, O’Neil and Roux in the backs. Up front eighthman Ryan Olivier was outstanding as was flank Laaiq Felton before he sustained an injury. Skipper Graham Knoop revelled being back on the pitch, Botha added impetus and replacement loose forward Josh Helmbold revelled in the opportunity to don the First XV shirt.


For Tygerberg flank Lesley Phillips and scrumhalf Gary Williams joined Hanslo, Maker and Makhundayi on the list of players who caught the eye.


It was a keenly contested match, played in a wonderful spirit between two teams who respect one another representing two clubs with a warm relationship.


False Bay travel to Parow on Saturday to face NTK. The match promises to be an enthralling encounter. First games kick off at 1.25pm and the main game starts at 4pm.


bottom of page